Sunday, February 20, 2011

Yves Saint Laurent on Style, Elegance, Dogs and Youth

"Genius is childhood rediscovered...Fashions pass, style is eternal. Fashion is futile, style is not...Women who follow fashion too closely run a great risk. That of loosing their profound nature, their style, their natural elegance...Anyone can whimsically create a fashion. Few can make a real piece of clothing...As Metternich said, the greatest art is to endure..."
"Elegance is a way of moving. It is also knowing how to adapt to all of life's circumstances. Without the elegance of the heart, there is no elegance..."
All creation is just recreation, a new way of seeing the same things and expressing them differently, specifying them, privileging one hitherto unnoticed corner, or revealing their outlines..."
"Nothing is more beautiful than a naked body. The most beautiful garment a woman can wear are the arms of the man she loves. But I am there for those who have not had the good luck to find that happiness...I am as they say a dog person. That is, that I live with him completely. Night and day. When I travel, I take him with me and when I can't, to England for example, I stay home..."
"Youth is egotistical. To grow older is to begin to think of others. Youth is an illness that people often recover from very late. In fact, some never do and die of it. The unease of aging comes from not having found oneself..."

Yves Saint Laurent

No comments: